FAQ and Terms of Service Summary in Layperson’s Terms
(only for your convenience – if there is a dispute, we will be following the original one, which is below)
- What are Simple Moves liable for?
- Simple Moves is liable for your items, except for the exceptions. We have Cargo insurance to cover your goods while in transit or while in our hands. We have liability coverage if your home/building is damaged from moving, adequate ICBC insurance if we cause damage with our vehicles and WCB Insurance if the movers sustain an injury.
- If we did not pack AND unpack your boxes, we are not liable for damages, except if we drop your box and things break inside. Then we are liable for the specific items that broke. If the broken items come from a set, we are liable for what is broken and not the whole set.
- Your TVs (or other electronics) are insured and covered only if we drop them and they break. If there is no new, obvious damage to the frame of the TV (or other electronics), then it isn’t insured.
- What is the value of my goods?
- Either it is a depreciated value of the item, not more than $6/cubicpounds and not less than $0.60/cubicpounds.
- What is a “cubic pound”?
- We came up with this to represent the interchangeability between weight and volume. In short, 1 cubic foot = 7 pounds.
- Back to the classic TV example: “So what happens if you break my TV?”
- We will check if it was us, by inspecting the box/frame of the TV for damages.
- If we find that the TV’s box/frame is damaged, then we will be liable for repairing it, replacing it or paying for it. It’s up to the Manager of the local Simple Moves branch to determine which option we are choosing. At this point we are not looking at who is right, rather we are working together to get to the bottom of this.
- If we can repair it, we will do it asap. If we have to replace it, we will try to find one that is the same or one that is similar in shape, size, colour, and value. If all else fails, we will send you a refund.
- How is the value calculated for a refund?
- We will look at the size and the condition of the item. If it is a TV, for example it is 0.5 ft x 4ft x 3 ft = 6 cubic feet = 42 lbs. That puts the value range between 42 lbs x $6 = $252 and 42 x $0.60 = $25.20. If the TV costs more than $252 to buy than we will issue you a refund of the maximum value or $252. In case if it can be bought for less than $25.20, you will be issued a refund of the minimum value or $25.20. If it falls in between, we will issue you a refund for the amount it falls to.
- What happens if you break my IKEA cabinet (or similar)?
- We will be extremely sorry, and we will try to put it together. If we cannot, we will take away the broken items and safely dispose of them. That’s probably the best we can do for you, and thanks for your understanding.
- What happens if you break or damage a glass/mirror/plant/planter/documents/jewellery/concrete statue/marble/granite/other minerals?
- Either purchase crating services please, from a 3rd party vendor.
- Or we will be extremely sorry, again thanks for your understanding.
- What happens with an item that was repaired before and now it broke in the same place?
- We will refer you to our technician who will be glad to help you, but you will have to cover the costs associated with re-repairing your damaged item.
- What happens with an item that I thought Simple Moves damaged but it might have been at another move?
- We pad-wrap everything, thus minimizing the possibility of damaging your possessions or your home.
- If you discover some damage that you aren’t sure whether it’s new or from a previous move, please show it to us and we will be happy to help in determining what is most likely.
- A typical indicator of old damage is when the furniture piece has been damaged all over already, but somehow this seems new. If the damage that seems new is the only one on the furniture piece, it is most likely that it is new damage.
- What is the claim process?
- Please let us know that you found some damage within 7 business days of the delivery date, in writing. We will go from there.
- I cannot find a lampshade, where is it?
- Please unpack every single box before looking for specific items (check your storage locker, too)
- Once you have unpacked and cannot find an item, please contact us. It must be within 7 business days of receiving your shipment.
- What is your booking process?
- One of our Move Organizers will come to your home or office to create a plan, built around your needs. Upon booking your move, we will take a deposit of ~50%, and on the pick-up day of your move, our admin will process the second half.
- If you need to cancel, we will keep $100 of the deposit, but only after the in-home quotation with your Move Organizer.
- Placing a deposit to hold your move, means you have read and accepted these terms of service.
- Do you take items that I want to get rid of?
- Only when it is discussed with your Move Organizer.
- In case a Move Organizer does not authorize the removal, it will be added to your Quotation after the move, even if your movers said “yes.”
- Dangerous items or situations
- Sometimes a sofa or a mattress must be hoisted up or down the balcony. Any damage to the item and property will be fully the Client’s responsibility.
- Sometimes a sofa or other large item will not fit through the staircase, particularly in a town-home. Any damage to the item and property will be fully the Client’s responsibility.
- Soil, fertilizer, chemicals, batteries, matches, candles, gasoline, propane and other combustibles are strictly prohibited from our moving vehicles. In case an issue arises from having such items on the truck, any damage to the shipment, truck and property will be fully the Client’s responsibility.
- How long is the quote good for?
- Move Plans are honoured for 30 days after the initial consultation.
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Credit cards, which are charged in Canadian dollars and Bitcoin-type currencies (check with us). Further, cross-province or cross-border moves are also charged in Canadian dollars and have a 5% GST included.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS COVERING HOUSEHOLD GOODS MOVED OR STORED
1 LIABILITY OF Simple Moves
- Simple Moves, the carrier of the goods that are described in this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document is liable for any loss of or damage to goods accepted by Simple Moves or Simple Moves’ agent, except as provided in this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document.
2 EXCEPTIONS FROM LIABILITY
- Simple Moves will not be liable for the following unless caused by the negligence of Simple Moves or Simple Moves’ agent or employee.:
- loss, damage or delay to any of the goods described in this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document caused by an Act of God, the Queen’s or public enemies, riots, strikes, a defect or inherent vice in the goods, the act or default of the consignor, owner or consignee, authority of law, quarantine, delay caused by mechanical breakdown and extreme weather conditions;
- damage to fragile articles that are not packed and unpacked by the contracting carrier or by that carrier’s agent or employee(s);
- damage to the mechanical, electronic, software or other operations of radios, stereos, clocks, computers, TVs, VCRs, DVDs, appliances, musical instruments and other equipment, irrespective of who packed or unpacked such articles, unless servicing and preparation was performed by the contracting carrier or by that carrier’s agent or employee(s).
- loss of contents of consignor packed articles unless the containers used are opened for Simple Moves’ inspection and articles are listed on this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document’s inventories and receipted for by Simple Moves.
- damage to or loss of a complete set or unit when only part of such set is damaged or lost, in which event Simple Moves is only liable for repair or recovering of the lost or damaged piece or pieces with depreciation; In the event of property damage, Simple Moves is only liable to repair the directly affected area to the best of their ability.
- damage to the goods at the place or places of pick-up at which the consignor or the consignor’s agent is not in attendance and cannot give a receipt for goods picked up;
- damage to or loss of the goods at the place or places of delivery at which the consignee or the consignee’s agent is not in attendance and cannot give a receipt for goods delivered.
- Simple Moves will not be liable for the following:
- damage to items or property in spaces deemed tight for moving particular items (e.g. modern townhomes)
- damage to items or property when ‘hoisting’ items
- damage to walls after Employees of the Company dismount furniture mounted to a wall (e.g. TVs or bookshelves)
- dismantling or rebuilding cribs
- mounting furniture on walls
- Subject to Article 4, the amount of any loss or damage for which Simple Moves is liable, whether or not the loss or damage results from negligence of Simple Moves or Simple Moves’ employees or agents, is to be computed on the basis of the value of the lost or damaged article(s) at the time and place of pick-up (including the freight and other charges if paid and the duty if paid or payable and not refundable) unless a lower value has been represented in writing by the consignor or has been agreed on between the parties to this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document, or is determined by the classification or tariff on which the rate is based, in any of which events such lower value is the amount that governs the computation of the maximum liability of Simple Moves which will not exceed the weight of the item multiplied by the value declared by the shipper.
4 MAXIMUM LIABILITY
- The amount of any loss or damage computed under Article 3 must not exceed the greater of
- Six ($6.00) dollars per pound computed on the total weight of the shipment or item.
- provided that if the consignor, in writing, releases the shipment to a value of sixty (.60) cents per pound per article the amount of any loss or damage computed under Article 3 must not exceed such lower amount.
- Where replacement or total loss payment of an article is made, the Company at its sole option shall have the right to salvage of the article. Furthermore, no article may be abandoned by the Company.
- If paragraph (1) (a) applies, additional charges to cover the additional coverage over sixty (.60) cents per pound per article must be paid by the consignor; this is called the Protection Plan. In such instance, additional charges to cover the value declared above sixty (.60) cents per pound per article will be paid by the consignee, consignor, owner or authorized agent. The declared value will not be more than six ($6.00) dollars per pound. In the event that an item is lost or damaged beyond repair, the value between $6 and .60 cents will be used to determine the settlement amount. The weight of the item is multiplied by the value found to determine the settlement amount. To find the value, we use this appreciation schedule: Regardless of age, if the item is in great condition: $6 per pound. Fairly used condition: $3 per pound. Bad condition: $1.50 per pound.
5 CONSIGNOR’S RISK
- If it is agreed that the goods are carried at the risk of the consignor of the goods, that agreement covers only those risks that are necessarily incidental to transportation and the agreement does not relieve Simple Moves from liability for any loss or damage or delay that may result from any negligent act or omission of Simple Moves or Simple Moves’ agents or employees, and the burden of providing absence of negligence is on Simple Moves.
6 NOTICE OF CLAIM
- A carrier is not liable for loss, damage or delay to any goods carried under this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document unless notice of the loss, damage or delay setting out particulars of the origin, destination and date of shipment of the goods is given in writing to the original contracting carrier or the delivering carrier within 7 days after delivery of the goods.
- Either the original contracting carrier or the delivering carrier, as the case may be, must acknowledge receipt of the claim within 7 days after receipt of the claim.
- Exceptions noted and receipted at the time of delivery do not constitute a notice of claim to the original contracting carrier or delivering carrier.It is the consignee, consignor, owner or authorized agent’s responsibility to forward written notice of claim as laid out above.
- Email is considered the best way to give notice of a loss.
7 ARTICLES OF EXTRAORDINARY VALUE
- A carrier is not bound to carry any documents, currency, jewellery, antiques or any articles of extraordinary value unless by a special agreement to do so.
- If such goods are carried without a special agreement and the nature of the goods is not disclosed on the face of this Terms of Service or other official Simple Moves document, Simple Moves is not liable for any loss or damage, in excess of the maximum liability stipulated in Article 4 of these Conditions of Carriage.
8 DANGEROUS GOODS OR SITUATIONS
- Every person, whether as principal or agent, shipping explosives or dangerous goods without previous full disclosure to Simple Moves as required by law, must indemnify Simple Moves against all loss, damage or delay caused by those explosives or dangerous goods, and such goods may be warehoused at the consignor’s risk and expense.
- Any liquids, powders, dyes and other substances that can leak, spill or seep into the shipment or that of others creating loss or damage can render the party responsible for all costs associated with said loss or damage.
- Simple Moves will not accept articles which cannot be taken into or out of premises without causing damage to the article or premise unless the consignor, consignee, owner or authorized agent assumes liability by instructing Simple Moves to handle the moving of such articles.
9 IKEA-TYPE, ASSEMBLED FURNITURE
- Typically furniture that is manufactured from press-board, particle board and or engineered wood is designed to be packaged in a box for overseas shipping. This greatly reduces shipping costs and consumers “build” the furniture at home with basic instructions or a store may assemble it for their customers. Some items will not fit in or out of rooms unless dismantled which can be time-consuming and difficult. Some items will fit out of homes assembled, and consumers prefer to move the items without taking them apart. Therefore some items are moved assembled at the customer’s request. Damages typically occur because the furniture is not engineered to be moved after initial assembly. Overall low-grade materials may result in damage, and as a carrier, we will be as careful as possible and not liable for any damage/breakage due to this inherent vice. Even dismantling and rebuilding particle board makes the joints weaker each time this is done.
- The assembled materials are not structurally sound for moving, and Simple Moves is not liable for any damage or breakage.
- Maximum valuation in the event of a dispute is 60 cents per pound per article.
10 GOVERNING BODY
- This contract shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of British Columbia, Canada, any dispute shall be determined by, and the parties agree to submit any such dispute to the Courts of the Province of British Columbia having jurisdiction.
11 QUOTE ACCEPTANCE
- Deposits are required to secure space in the moving schedule. This is typically 50% and is required to be paid by credit card or cryptocurrencies, like Ethereum Blockchain, Litecoin, Bitcoin, Ripple, EOS, Tron, Cardano, etc.
- The balance is due on the day of pick up, i.e. full payment has to be made before delivery.
- By choosing to hire Simple Moves and placing a deposit on a move, the consignee agrees to all the conditions of carriage as outlined in this document.
- Move Plans are honoured for 30 days after the initial consultation. After 30 days we may change the final price to reflect changes in our costs.
12 SCOPE OF WORK CHANGES
- Any changes in the scope of the work will be reflected in the pricing and/or plans, including changes that happen on the day of the move. We promise our pricing. However, it is based on the total volume and the complexity of the move, which if changes, the cost will need to be changed accordingly. We cannot guarantee that servicing such requests will be possible.
- Long distance moves are called a dedicated shipping service. We prefer a containerized moving service, to separate your items from other Clients’, however, we cannot guarantee that your shipment will not share a truck with other shipments if it is deemed to be safer or faster that way, due to weather, strikes, etc.
- If the move day is changed, the deposit will be transferred to the new move day.
- If the move is cancelled after placing a deposit on a move, (either in person or over the phone or via email), Simple Moves will retain two hundred dollars ($200.00) to cover all administration costs.
- If the move is cancelled or the date is changed 48 (forty-eight) hours before the move date, we will charge ($400.00) to cover all costs with lost opportunities.
- Changes to the moving date are allowed two times. After that, the Client will have to wait until it is sure that the move can be carried out on the chosen day. If it cannot be carried out on any of the chosen days, we will charge fifty (50%) of the entire invoice or at least four hundred ($400). If the date of the delivery changes and we are available, we may also change the pricing according to our availability or choose a day that is the same cost as the original Promised Price.
- Move Consultants must authorize junk disposals. Unauthorized furniture disposals will be added to the invoice without notice, regardless of the movers’ acceptance.
- We appreciate your business, and if there is anything that you would like us to know about, please call immediately. Thank you.
- As of Jan 22, 2018, we do not accept cash, cheque or email transfer as forms of payment, except in special circumstances and at the discretion of the Simple Moves management.
- Update: October 17, 2017
- Update: January 22, 2018
- Update: June 11, 2018