Book Your Move Soon!
March 2021 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Moving into a new home is exciting, but it’s not always cheap. Whether you’re buying or renting, there are deposits to consider, bills to settle, days off work, and the miscellaneous costs that creep up on you just when you thought you’d covered everything.
It can be tempting to try and DIY as much of the process as you can, but could lugging your own haul be a false economy?
In this blog, we’ll take an in-depth look at how using a moving company faires against the laborious (yet honourable) task of hiring a van and doing it all yourself. So, get your calculators out, and let’s get down to business.
Sure, if you’re a minimalist, a student, or you’re moving into the house next door, it makes sense to do it yourself – you either don’t have that much stuff, or the journey is super straightforward.
But, if you’re like most people, you have a lifetime’s worth of precious belongings, appliances you can’t live without, and a whole bunch of other useful items that need to get to your new home in mint condition.
When managing a move by yourself, you must consider the following costs:
1. Most van-hire companies won’t insure the contents in the van – so what happens when your friend drops the box with all your electronics and it’s bye-bye forever to your Macbook Pro – and possibly your friendship?
2. You’ll have to factor in the journey to picking up the van and returning it to the hire location – the likelihood is, you’re already on a limited timescale. Do you want another to-do on your moving day?
3. Not everyone has a big support network of friends and family in their new or existing geographical location. So how do you get the muscle power? Moving fridges, couches and other awkward appliances is not something you can do yourself.
4. The size of the van you hire depends on your budget; it’s common for DIY movers to go for a small-to-medium van in order to save on costs. But this can result in several back-and-forth trips that waste time and add to your fuel bill.
5. Do you have young kids? Moving day can be a busy, sometimes frantic affair. If you’re doing it yourself, there’s likely to be some precarious moments (getting a piano down from a multi-storey building? ) that will require you to be vigilant. This can be a bit tricky if you’ve got your hands full.
6. Your health and wellbeing are essential. It takes one wrong move to throw a back out. There are safe techniques for lifting and moving heavy items, and they usually require several hands on deck. If you’re hiring a van, make sure you have enough helpers around and are able to handle heavy loads with minimal risk. If you don’t, what may have seemed like a cost-effective exercise will soon become an expensive series of visits to the physio, more days off work and, potentially, long term damage.
7. For most people, packing is a time-consuming task. It can take weeks, if not months, to get your house move ready. There’s furniture to disassemble, delicates to wrap, and belongings to sort through. If you’re a busy individual, it may not be a good use of your time to do your own packing.
8. Sourcing boxes may not seem like a biggie, just ask your local grocery store, right? Using odd-shaped or low-quality boxes could have devastating consequences when precious items fall out of flimsy packaging.
Some folks may think that using a moving company is extravagant. But when you look at the benefits, it’s not hard to spot how it could be easier on your pocket.
1. Professional, reputable moving companies are experienced in packing for small and large residences, taking into consideration fragile and delicate items. They will bring all the necessary packaging equipment to make sure that the contents of your home are adequately protected during the move.
2. Moving companies have extensive insurance policies to reassure customers that their belongings are comprehensively covered.
3. Movers come with their own, standard-sized, reusable boxes. This makes lifting and stacking your items in the van easier and relieves you from the task of purchasing or hunting for boxes.
4. With a dedicated team whose sole purpose is to make sure you have a pleasant moving experience, you can save time and enjoy an efficient and practical process.
5. You will agree on all aspects of the service you receive before you commit to a date and price, this means that no unforeseen costs are sprung up on you on the day.
6. Expert movers will protect your floors, walls and surfaces during the move so that you don’t have to spend extra money on repairing any scuffs.
Ultimately, the decision to go with a moving company or roll up your sleeves and do it yourself, will largely be determined by the nature of your move, the distance you’re travelling, the logistical requirements of the relocation, and the time frame you’re working to.
If you’d like to receive a no-obligation quote from us today, please give us a call. We’ll talk you through all the features of our service so you have an accurate picture of how much a professional moving service could save you.